Things you will need
- plastic tablecloth (the dollar tree has them for a buck)
- plain flour
- table salt
- cooking oil (vegetable)
- cold water
- food coloring
- Tupperware with lid or ziplock bag
- mixing bowl
- glitter (if desired)
Do not let your children or pets consume this recipe. It contains high amounts of salt. High amounts of salt is necessary in preserving the play dough. The amounts could prove dangerous in children and animals. Please supervise your children during use.
Homemade play dough the kids can make themselves.
I have been making this play dough for my children for 15 years. My children love it. It can be a little bit messy considering it uses flour and food coloring. I have found that The Dollar Tree party table clothes work best to cover my table with while we make it. I can just pull the corners up to the center of the table and it holds all the ingredients in place for a quick toss in the garbage. Plus if you have any spilled food coloring it doesn’t soak through to my table.
For this recipe you will need some things you probably already have at home. You will need flour,salt,cooking oil,food coloring,cold water,table covering and a Tupperware container.
It only takes 5-10 minutes to make,which is great for small children who loses attention quickly. After you have made your play dough and the kids are done playing you just pop it in a Tupperware container and stick it in the fridge. The best part is the salt works as a preserver and this stuff last a very long time.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 5 min
Ready in: 10 min
Yields: will make approximately 4 child sized balls
- 2 cups flour, plain flour
- 1 cup salt, regular table salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil, any
- 1 cup cold water, tap water
- 2-4 drops food coloring, add more for brighter colors
- 1 tsp glitter, if desired
- Measure out your flour and salt and mix together. Glitter can be added to dry ingredients if desired.
- Measure out your cooking oil, cold water and food coloring. Then mix into your flour and salt.
- It the mixture is not firm enough simply add small amounts of flour until firm. You can also add more food coloring until desired color is reached.
- Kneed dough with hands until at right consistency and coloring is mixed well.
- After children are done playing put in Tupperware or ziplock bag and store in the fridge.
Warning to adults
Please be a responsible adult. Please do not let children or pets consume this recipe. Recommended for children age 3 and up or children who no longer stick everything in their mouths or other parts of their bodies.
Homemade play dough
|Serving size: 4|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 190 g||63%|
|Sugar 068 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 1131 mg||47%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|